You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be.
To kick off any weight management program, it’s important to think of why you are doing it. That is, what you are trying to achieve, how will you be different if you lose weight, how will your relationships, health and general wellbeing be different. If you know the reasons why you are trying to achieve something, it can help to keep you focused and on track. It’s often too easy when you reach a stumbling block in any weight management program, to lose faith that you can continue. Knowing your why’s can give you that extra bit of motivation and focus to keep going and not let the stumbling blocks (which are bound to happen!) stop you from progressing further.
Following these steps can help keep your weight management program on track:
1. Visualise yourself when you have achieved your goal.
What will be different about my life?
How will I feel and think differently?
What will be different in regards to my health?
How will my relationships be different?
What will losing weight allow me to do that I am unable to do now?
2. Write down what you visualise.
3. Place that information in a place that you can see it and have easy access to it, such as on your fridge, in your bedroom, in your car… That way it will be fresh in your mind and can help keep on track and focused on why you are changing your eating habits.
4. Make it a part of your daily routine to look at your list. For example, you could check your list of why’s each morning just before breakfast. That way it’ll provide some focus and motivation for the rest of the day!
5. Keep adding to the list if you think of other reasons of why you want to achieve a certain healthy weight or lifestyle.